I’m writing this while my dog wanders around the dog park. He weather is too nice to be indoors hunched over my computer.
It’s been a while (2 weeks, .13 dog years, 50 internet years) since I’ve posted anything. I haven’t forgotten. It really has been because I haven’t done much. I’ve played some Mass Effect. Went fishing and got freaked out by a redneck deer hunter. That actually might have made a good post and I’ll probably write it up once the memory has become suitably epic. I flaked out on a baseball game cause of the weather (shame on me I know). I sat on my porch and petted my dog.
Normally, I’d feel guilty about this. Between now and July 10th I’m going to be at home exactly 2 weekends. That’s a lot of travel, a lot of things to write about, lots of pictures to take (CURSE YOU NIKON!!!!). I’m excited for most of the things, scared about a couple, and ambivalent about others.
In the lead up to an epic month or so, I really haven’t got the gumption to get out of the house and do much. I want to relax a bit before my vacation, races, weddings, and more races. That sounds silly but it’s honestly true. Vacations take a lot out of me. The constant t movement. Going from point A to B to C and back to A is a great way to feel stressed out when you’re trying to relax. I want to stay someplace until I get bored and the move on.
The weather here in DC has been stunningly nice for late May. More than anything, I want to sit in a back yard, on a hammock, read a book, drink some beer, and probably take a nap. Maybe I can convince Hank Scorpio to get me a hammock.
The dog appears to be grazing now. I think that’s my cue to head on in.
Wilkommen, bienvenue, come on in, it’s open
I know, I know what you’re saying: “This dude is ten years too late to this game”. And you know what, you’re right. I’m way too late to be starting my own blog. All the cool kids did that on geocities and then migrated their stuff to tumblr, pintrest or whatever social media app they’re trying to develop. Probably too old too. But, as part of my resolution to do more interesting things with my life though I’d thought I’d start a blog. Dunno why really. My daily job ( public health data crunching in DC) doesn’t offer a whole lot of excitement. If I have a blog, I’ll need things to write about. That means I have to go out and do things worth writing about in order to fill my blog. Hence, I do more interesting things. That’s the theory anyways
Other facts about me that might be interesting or shed light on what I’m writing about
- I’ve got season tickets to the Nationals. Depending on how they’re playing, you may see me refer to them as the “Natinals”. They’ve got to play well to earn that “o”. More on this as the 2012 season progresses.
- I got a MSPH in Health Services Research (HSR). Really I should have gotten it in Biostatistics but I suck at calculus and anything above figuring out y=mX+b. HSR is an odd mix of policy, economics, and applied research. Really I just got to play around with healthcare data and that’s good enough for me. There might be some posts on things I’ve looked at here too
- I play single player video games. Lots of them. Trying to work on playing less. I’d play more multiplayer but I’ve found 99.875% of people the big ones are less than polite. If you’re in that last 1/8%, let me know.
- I already said that I do data crunching in DC. The one good thing it affords me is access to SAS which I can’t afford on my own. Don’t ask me about R. I’ve barely got enough time as it is. They’ll most likely be a number of articles about sabermetrics and things that interest me. I might even make up some data just to come up with something to write about.
- Oh! I forgot. I like photography. See my pictures here(My photos)
I’m running out of ideas at the moment. The one thing I will say is that I’m going to try and post something interesting here about once a week. So ambitious I know. Anyroad, that’s it. This really is just a place holder until I get my first post.